Company History

Elring – Das Original

ElringKlinger can look back on over 140 years of company history. Over time, a lot has happened: Our product portfolio expanded, new locations were established and other companies were taken over. Take a look at our history.

2017

ElringKlinger and Sichuan Chengfei Integration Technology Co., Ltd. (CITC) establish a joint venture company for the development, production, and distribution of lithium-ion battery modules. This deal will expand the company’s range of services: CITC adds expertise in the field of cell production, while ElringKlinger will contribute additional module components such as highly innovative cell contact systems and cell casings.

2017

ElringKlinger continues to invest in its German sites with the completion of a new logistics center at Plant 2 in Dettingen/Erms. The centerpiece will be a modern high-bay warehouse some 21 meters in height, 52 meters wide, and 69 meters long; storage capacity will amount to 14,000 pallet spaces.

2017

Walter H. Lechler steps down as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of ElringKlinger AG for reasons of age. He will continue to serve the Supervisory Board as honorary chairman. His place will be taken by Klaus Eberhardt, who has been a member of the ElringKlinger AG Supervisory Board since May 2013.

2017

ElringKlinger AG acquires a strategic interest of 27% in the engineering firm hofer AG. The transaction includes a 53% majority stake for ElringKlinger in hofer powertrain products GmbH, a subsidiary of the Nürtingen-based group. In acquiring an interest in the expert developer of powertrain systems for the automobile industry as well as measuring, testing, and assembly technology, ElringKlinger will principally benefit from the development and production of alternative drive technologies.

2016

ElringKlinger inaugurates a new building at its existing production site in Bursa, Turkey. ElringKlinger has been represented in Turkey since 2009. The new structure, which spans approximately 10,500 square meters, will mainly be used for the production of thermal shielding systems and specialty gaskets.

2016

ElringKlinger expands its business activity in China by establishing a new factory in Suzhou. Alongside an ultra-modern production area, the site includes an administration building, staff restaurant, and social facilities. Among other things, ElringKlinger will produce innovative lightweight plastic parts at the plant.

2016

ElringKlinger AG takes over the business activities of the insolvent mold and toolmaking production company Maier Formenbau GmbH of Bissingen/Teck. This deal will enhance expertise and capacity in the field of mold production.

2015

The ElringKlinger Group concludes a license agreement for new kinds of lightweight metal/plastic components with a premium German car maker. The license agreement will mean considerable revenue potential for ElringKlinger over the years ahead.

2015

With 45 plants worldwide, the ElringKlinger Group is represented in 21 countries
(traditional automotive markets)

2013

ElringKlinger acquires the remaining 10% interest in Elring Parts Ltd., United Kingdom, thus becoming the sole owner of this company, which operates in the aftermarket sector

2009

130th anniversary of ElringKlinger AG and move to MDAX

2000

Merger of ElringKlinger GmbH with the parent company ZWL Grundbesitz- und Beteiligungs-AG, change of name to ElringKlinger AG and quotation on SDAX

1994

Merger of Elring GmbH with the Automotive sector of Richard Klinger GmbH to form ElringKlinger GmbH

1885

Richard Klinger sets up a design workshop in Vienna

1879

Paul Lechler sets up a trading company for technical articles in Stuttgart (later to become Elring GmbH)